Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A proverb

This week I'm doing a proverb lesson from the ETA Handbook, but I added an assignment. The students have to write a sentence describing a situation that would apply to the proverb. One girl came up with a sentence that, grammatical errors aside, ran something like, "My friend wants to die and one day my friend dies. I don't feel regret." The proverb: no use crying over spilt milk.

It struck me particularly because I've heard of a few different cases, here in Suncheon and nationally, where young students have committed suicide because of the 'wonkda' issue--a type of exclusiveness within the students where often one student is shunned by everyone. I can't help but feel like this sort of view of death--this sort of shrugging it off--might contribute to this culture where a couple students committ suicide a year. But then again, I do think it is healthy to move on from something you can't change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home