Friday, May 20, 2005

you don't have to go

We had the contest selection process yesterday, which was really interesting and I think a little nerve-wracking for everyone involved. None of the teachers or the students had ever participated in that kind of discussion format. It reminded me of being Chair of Appointments Committee at Reed, when we had to interview applicants for student government positions and you were trying to be tough and discerning while at the same time trying not to make them too nervous. It went pretty well over all, only one girl cried. I think the other teachers enjoyed meeting Greg. He's a pretty funny guy. I often feel vaguely overwhelmed when I'm hanging out with him, since he's really gregarious and speaks really fast--during the discussions he kept making jokes and getting really enthusiastic about certain questions (even though he admitted to me he's afraid of Korean schoolgirls because of all the Korean horror movies that involve them). I'm curious what the other teachers thought of him. They already think he's strange because he's planning to become a househusband in August when his baby is born, and that's completely bizarre by Korean standards.

I found out that my school isn't planning to apply for a Fulbright ETA for next year, which surprised me and made me a little sad, since I think this is a wonderful school and a great environment for an ETA. But maybe they'll be better off with a different foreigner. They aren't applying for an ETA because no one wants to be the homestay, which I understand, and which sort of adds to my annoyance that Fulbright insists that the homestay is so crucial. I do think the homestay is a valuable experience, and it's great for the ETA to have that support (assuming they have a good homestay, like I did) but it bothers me that some schools will lose out because no one wants to take in what is essentially a pretty big responsibility. I told Mrs. Lee that I could talk to Fulbright to ask about the possibility of them getting an extendee (extendees get to live in an apartment), but I think they're not sure if they even want a Fulbright ETA. They would actually like to get two foreign teachers, and Fulbright won't give ETAs to schools who already have a foreign teacher (understandable). But the principal isn't behind it yet. It turns out a couple I know is applying for the job here, and will be coming for an interview at lunchtime. I know them from frisbee, and they're really nice people, so I think I would be supportive of them working here, especially if they plan to stay for a couple more years. Today during the drive to work Mrs. Lee asked me if I would extend and stay at Maesan, and I felt touched. I think if I was interested in staying in Korea, I would probably stay at this school. Back when I was actually considering extending, I had all these conditions like, if I did it, I would want to be in a bigger city, or I'd want to be in the same city with friends, but now that I've been here this long, I can picture settling in in Suncheon , and making a life here for another year or so. If I was interested in continuing teaching in Korea, which I'm not. But I was touched none the less.

I came across an interesting headline on NYTimes today. Some scientists at Seoul National University have made a breakthrough regarding stem cell research. I have to admit that cloning embryos to harvest stem cells creeps me out a little, but to put it in perspective, fertility clinics often create more embryos than they need to help a woman get pregnant and then they just discard the extras. I do agree that cloning shouldn't be used to make babies--but I also don't entirely support all the money couples put into overcoming infertility, when there are so many adoptable children. I know adopting is expensive too, but there's also something a little crass and unnatural about all the surgery that goes into it as well. Probably my thoughts on that will change when I decide to become a mother, but in the meantime, you'll never see me selling my eggs for $8,000.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home