Tuesday, July 05, 2005

last weekend

Seoul was good, didn't rain too much and I experienced a good amount of just relaxing with friends. The Fulbright dinner on Saturday was only slightly awkward (those huge group social situations) and I spent the evening with pals in Hongdae again, probably the last time I'll ever hang out there. Appropriately, we spent it in a very Hongdae-esque establishment, a hip bar that resembled a cinderblock house that had never been completed. On Sunday afternoon we went to Itaewon, the neighborhood near the army base that never ceases to surprise me for feeling so American, and had a truly American diner-style brunch--I think the first time all year I've had eggs and toast for breakfast. Said good-bye to Matthias, who is leaving this week. If I ever get a chance to travel when I get back to the States, I'm going to the east coast. I know too many people there now, both from Fulbright and Reed. One more thing I'm going to miss about Korea (maybe I should just do one a post for the next few weeks): being able to cross the country in 5 or 6 hours, and a 10 hour round-trip bus ride not being unreasonable for a weekend partying with friends (the cheapness factor helps, of course).

Speaking of which, I'm paying a visit to Chuncheon next weekend. Remember Chuncheon? Outside of the Incheon Airport, it was the first place I set foot in Korea, and I've been thinking about the local culinary specialties ever since I left (yeah, spicy chicken grilled with cabbage and rice cake, oh yeah, soft serve ice cream in a bowl with chipped ice, condensed milk, assorted fruit, rice cake, and green tea flavoring powder--man, it's so much simpler in Korean). My rockstar co-teacher got me finals off, so I can embark on the 6 hour train ride on Friday and I don't have to return until Tuesday, though I'm not sure yet how long I'll stay altogether.

P.S. Happy Fourth of July to all of you. My memories of last Fourth involve getting a migraine at my own going away party, and watching Reedies be extremely reckless with fireworks on the campus rugby field. It was great. And I hope I don't miss out on all the backyard barbeques (or fireworks, for that matter) by the time I get back this summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home