Saturday, October 23, 2004

This morning

This morning is the first time since I've gotten to my homestay that I've wanted very strongly not to eat a Korean breakfast. Maybe it's just because over the last couple days the meals have consisted mostly of just kimchi, various different forms of it, and bean sprout or fish soup, and rice. We even ran out of my beloved kim, dried seasoned seaweed. I think my host mother hasn't had the time to make a more substantial meat dish like she usually does. I know my peanut butter is around here somewhere, but I don't think there's any bread. My host mother buys it occasionally, but I don't eat it that much and the kids eat it pretty quickly. I told her once that I think a Korean breakfast is more healthy than an American breakfast, which I believe, but it doesn't create a good situation for sudden American dietary whims. I'm alone in the house right now. My host mother went to Seoul yesterday afternoon for a wedding, and is coming back later today. The kids are at school. In a few minutes I'm going to go down to the bakery on the corner and buy a roll of some kind and some choco-milk.

At one P.M. I'm meeting Mr. O at the school to go to a wedding ceremony. And afterwards we're going hiking. I have no idea what I should wear. I'm just going to try to wear my most formal teaching outfit (which is all I have, really) and make Mr. O take me back to my house to change before we go hiking, despite the fact that I've seen women hiking in dresses and high heels here.

Last night I thought about going out, but instead I sat down and on a whim wrote an 8 page story. Again, I don't really like it all the much, but I do like the fact that I'm writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home