Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Photos

As you can see, I've figured out how to post photos on my blog. None of these photos are actually mine, though, they were all taken by other ETAs. At some point I may scan some of my photos and post them here, but I'll at least try to post any interesting photos that other ETAs send me. All of the photos I posted today were taken during the six week Orientation we had.

Had a pretty chill week. This week is midterm exams, so the school day is only half, and I don't have to teach anyway. Last weekend I went to Jeonju for the sori festival, which I really enjoyed, and I had fun hanging out with some other ETAs. I hope to check out more festivals, since there's a good number going on every month, some simultaenously. This weekend there's a food festival here in Suncheon, so I'm going to try to go to that.

Over all, things are going pretty good. I'm feeling pretty settled, though still lonely sometimes. Mrs. Lee is intent on teaching me more Korean, which is fortunate for me, though I am a little concerned about us spending so much time together. I'd rather just have her as a host mother, and not as a host mother and a teacher. Recently I've been wishing a little that I wasn't living in a home stay, though I know I'd probably be lonely and more stressed if I wasn't. I'm probably going to take swimming classes, four days a week for a month, starting sometime soon, once we get the logistics checked out. The best part is Mrs. Lee and Mrs. Kim are going to pay for it, as thanks for me tutoring (read: playing games with) their daughters.

I'm doing the SOS orphanage tutoring every Wednesday now--I think this week will be my fourth time. It's gotten easier. The class size for the younger class has dwindled a little, which makes them easier to manage. I'm enjoying the evenings I spend there. It's good to get a little change of scenery, and the kids are nice.

I bought a cool hat in Jeonju. It's just a green baseball cap, but with a sort of stylish cut. It makes me feel a little intimidating. Not really intimidating, but maybe intimidating enough to discourage strange men that want to practice their English with me.

Reading: Finished 'The God of Small Things,' an interesting book. I'm really stocked on books right now, since the Gyeongju conference.

Writing: Wrote ten pages for Matthias. Even though I really dislike them, I'm glad I did some writing. Since he's late in getting me his story, I felt absolved of giving him the new material, so I sent him a story from my thesis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home