Thursday, September 30, 2004

Gwanju

I'm in the Gwanju Bus Terminal right now, at one of the pay-by-the minute computers they have here. I should be meeting Bonnie, an ETA friend, in about an hour. She's coming into town for the Gwanju Biennial, a large modern art exhibit that I just saw today with my host mother and her aunt. Some of my students were also there, as today is a 'picnic day' for the high school, so the students are doing activities as a class but not studying. And I have the day off.

The Biennial was cool. It was a sort of layered experience; there's viewing the art itself, and then there's viewing the way the art is viewed and experienced in Korea. Today was a popular day for students to visit the museum, I guess the Thursday after Chuseok is probably a common day off at schools in Korea. So my experience was a bit influenced by what seemed to be an entire middle school filing through the galleries and of course yelling "Hi" at me and then giggling and running away. Sometimes I found it hard to concentrate on the art, what with the students and the museum guides narrating to the students through large bullhorns, but I still enjoyed it. I found myself lingering after the kids had lost interest and experiencing the exhibits that way. There was a young Korean man, maybe a few years older than me, that seemed to have the same idea. A few times we found ourselves standing quietly in the same exhibit, after the girls had passed on, so I felt a certain kind of kinship with him.

After the main hall exhibits we checked out a small exhibition of items from North Korea. It was mostly common household items, some paintings and some North Korean products. But I think when it comes to North Korea, the mundane, or the fact that it is just mundane, can be enlightening. I for one had pictured North Korea as being like South Korea with less American influence--less English used, and no Konglish. So I was a little surprised to see products made in North Korea with English words on them (and also to see some products notedly imported from South Korea).

There were a few different galleries outside the hall, and there was also a large international bazarre. There were different stands for different countries, like India, Pakistan, Brazil, Ecuador, Kenya and collectively, Europe. I was impressed when an Indian man spoke to me fluently in English and then also in Korean. There was an Ecuadorean woman at the Ecuador stand, and I finally got up the courage to try to speak to her in Spanish. It's surprising how rusty my Spanish has gotten I think just from being in Korea and trying to learn Korean. When I was first trying to speak Korean, I kept lapsing into Spanish, and now when I try to think of simple Spanish words, like "where" and "teacher" the Korean ones appear in their place. It was sort of embarassing, since I used to consider myself pretty good at at least conversational Spanish, and here I could understand her fine but was having difficulty answering the question of what I do for work. She was pleasant but seemed a little bored anyway. I imagine she gets a lot of Americans trying to use their high school or college Spanish on her, and she probably felt sort of like how I do when strangers start speaking to me in broken English just to try it out.

As I was lingering around the bazarre, waiting for my host mother and her aunt to finish perusing, the young man I recognized from many of the exhibits tapped me on the shoulder and informed me, with a warm smile and in pretty flawless English, that he thought I should look at the gallery out the back, called Korea Express. He said he thought I would enjoy it and that I shouldn't miss the chance. It was a striking interaction for me. I guess maybe he'd felt some of the same familiarity that I'd felt when we'd crossed paths often in the main exhibition hall. I did go see the exhibit, which consisted of contemporary Korean art, and I liked it a lot. There were some interesting paintings, as well as some of the more sort of experimental stuff. At one point I stood in a dark, glass-walled room decorated with fiber-optic flowers, some with petals made from sanitary napkins, and a large fiber-optic heart, with an old Korean woman and a man in gray monks clothes and a shaved head.

So I should be meeting up with Bonnie in a bit. We're probably going to get dinner and then I'll take the bus back to Suncheon. My host mother seemed a little nervous to let me off on my own, but I've been through the Gwanju bus terminal a few times now, and it is admittedly nice to get away on my own. I was starting to get a little unwarrantedly irritated, being surrounded by middle aged Korean women who would talk about me and laugh a lot, when I couldn't understand what they were saying. I feel like a child often, and I know it makes sense, since I basically have the lingual abilities of an infant in this country, but it's still a sort of frustrating way to feel. I think maybe more independence is a good thing at this point.

1 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog you have here! I am going to bookmark this one.

Play free online gamestoday at arcade queen

free arcade game web sitefree arcade game web site

Play until you drop but whatever you do don't let your boss catch you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home