Saturday, September 11, 2004

Friday night

Last night I got together with Jairus, a fellow Fulbright ETA who teaches at Maesan High School, which is the male counterpart to my school (founded by the same Presbyterian monks way back when). We met at the University, and played pool (called pocketball here, to differentiate it from the more popular billiards), and then, on our way to check out an establishment owned by one of his students, we ducked inside an arcade and played a couple games of Dance Dance Revolution. Jairus had just discovered this game the previous weekend, and I've actually played the Japanese version in the States. For those who don't know, it's a video game with a square foot-pad that you dance on. The aim is to step in the right places when the game tells you to. We played pretty badly the first time (or I should say I played pretty badly, Jairus was a dance machine), but the second time we actually passed each level, despite the crippling toe-cramp that I experienced after the first song the second time around. The student's place was closed, so I headed home in time to catch the second to last bus back to my neighborhood.

I woke up at 8:30 this morning, after going to bed at 11:30, when Seo Young woke me to tell me she was going to school. I think she feels responsible for me during the time between when her mother leaves and she goes to school, which is sort of endearing. She often provides me with cereal in the morning if I get up in time.

It's pouring now, which means that maybe Jairus and I won't be visiting Suncheon Bay today. We'll see what happens. I can't believe it's only Saturday.

Fiction written: reworking an old story that I wrote for my thesis, but that didn't make it in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home